Lampedusa curiosities and traditions

piccole ceramiche tradizionali

Sanctuary of Madonna di Porto Salvo

The presence of a picture of Mother Mary in a cave at the root of Vallone said, indeed, of the Madonna, is traced back to the time of Ouarta Crusade (1202-1204), commissioned by Pope Innocent III and never reached the Holy Land but diverted Constantinople. The first to mention is the historian and writer Fazello that in 1568 tells the presence of "a chapel consecrated to Mary in a cave." Twenty-eight years later, in 1596, the chronicler Lorenzo d'Anania confirmed that "a constantly burning lamp before the image of Our Lady which is not missed oil rifornitovi always pilots Christians and Moslems". More accurate the quote of the writer Francesco Maggio (1657): "The beautiful statue of the Madonna of Trapani, carved in Cyprus in the year 730 and from Jerusalem moved by some Knights Templar city of Pisa, running storm the ship that was carrying, yes he saved in Lampedusa. Being there was the statue of Our Lady will Serb in the memory until today a small "church which even the barbarians are wont to venerate". The more detailed information will provide the governor of "new colony" Bernardo Maria Sanvisente, in its detailed report to Ferdinand II. About the "chapel consecrated to Mary in a cave," he writes: 'In the Vallon de la Madonna It contained a small church with ancient dwellings, a ruined house and several caves. In the church, I found in miserable condition, It contained a statue of the Virgin mutilated and thrown to the ground. The faeces restore and provide that each 22 september you sang a mass in order to solemnize the day of the restoration and the possession of the island took place September 22, 1843 when two steamers and on behalf of the government Bourbon landed in Lampedusa>. On the 'dual-use' of this place, the Christian and Mahometan, described by Sanvisente legend has it that the church lived a hermit who possessed outstanding qualities as a diplomat. When a visit to the church were as he had gone (turks) hermit had exalted in some place a flag with the crescent; when to visit were Christians had exalted a cross. In this way hermit was obtained by the uni and the other aid and protection without compromise. After the restoration done by Sanvisente the church took on its current shape and the statue of Our Lady, in heavy stone about 150 kilos and invoice somewhat primitive, took the name of Madonna di Porto Salvo because elected to protectress of the people of the sea.

The turtle Carreta Carreta of Lampedusa

Animals that are perfectly adapted to the aquatic life thanks to the elongated shape of the body covered by a tough shell and to the presence of "Paws" transformed into flippers.
At birth and long about 5 cm. The length of a exemplary adult and 80 - 140 cm, with a variable weight between 100 and 160 kg. The head is large, with the beak very warped. The limbs are very developed, especially the front, and fitted with two nails in young individuals that are reduced to a in adults.
It has a spine of red brown, striped with dark in young specimens, and a slab yellowish,in the shape of a heart, often with large orange spots, equipped with two plaques prefrontal and a horny beak very robust. The shield of the dorsal carapace is equipped with five pairs of coastal shields; the shield front single door five plaques. The young fish often show a hull notched dorsal that gives it an appearance of the "back to saw". Males are distinguished from the females for the long queue that develops with the attainment of sexual maturity, which occurs around 13 years.

I Dammusi

Buildings are typical of the Pelagie islands, and characterize the territory with their shape and with the building solutions that reflect the activities, culture and many aspects of society pelagic and mediterranean. The etymology of the name "dammuso" goes back to the Latin '' domus '' and the corresponding Arabic ''dammus'' or the term ''mdamnes '' that means building at a time. Its origins are uncertain, but the prevailing view is that the dammuso is derived from the architectural models of the coasts berber, and that it has established for its specific methods of construction that make it suitable to the environmental conditions and geo-climatic the southern basin of the Mediterranean. In fact, its traditional system of construction that provides se of two rows of stone, the creation of a chamber air and the particular dome cover, allow thermal insulation and supply of rainwater, and make it a precursor of the new examples of sustainable architecture. The dammuso of Lampedusa is widely used as a product to the service of agricultural activities in the second half of the XIX century after the colonisation of island by Ferdinand II of Bourbon. Casa Teresa is the more ancient dammuso, built around 1870 and is among the most prominent and articulated island for size and type, constituting a significant witness to integration with the surrounding landscape.